Thursday, January 7, 2010

Do you pre-wash fabric before you begin quilting?

I'm pretty new at this. I'm making a log-cabin-ish quilt for my nephew. I'm worried that if I pre-wash the fabric might be harder to work with. I'll be doing it all by hand.





Thanks in advance for your advice.


FYI: here's the quilt I'm making:





http://www.fatquartershop.com/Free-Quilt鈥?/a>Do you pre-wash fabric before you begin quilting?
This question has long been discussed among quilters. My answer is it depends--If I use all fabrics from the quilt shop (better fabrics) and they are all from the same maunfacturer or grouping, I probably won't because I feel they are somewhat consistent. That said, there is always the chance of a bleed...I can double check that by snipping a small piece of the selvage off, a quick drench of hot/warm water and a lie on a white paper towel to dry. When I lift the snip, I check for a stain. No stain, no worry. If there is a stain, I will probably wash the fabric in the same manner I will wash the quilt-ie: cold water...I wash the fabric in my regular wash with like colors. I, on the other hand, dry it until it is dry, and spritz with water to iron smooth. I like to be sure there is no more shrink left.


If the fabric is from different sources/manufacturers or on the inexpensive side, I will always wash the fabric to eliminate any surprise.


This can be a difficult choice, especially if you are working with a kit. Any shrinkage may cause the need for more fabric.


I must say, on the whole, and I like to use better quilt cottons, I have had very good luck!


Fat quarter, the same rule applies.


A quick rule of thumb: if you hold the fabric up to the light and you can see the space between the threads...it will shrink more. Where the light is is where the shrink will be!


As for sizing/starch...if you fabric is limp after washing, use any starch method you like. Sometimes a little body is good, sometimes limp fabric is nice. You decide!


Personally, for your log Cabin, the extra body will make it easier to hand sew.


Keep in mind, though, that sometimes it is nice to wash the quilt after you sew/quilt it. The fabric will pucker slightly, giving your quilt and older and softer feel. If the quilt will be laundered a lot, like a crib quilt, I would wash everything before hand.


I would also make sure you wash your YARDAGES, not your cut strips or pieces...and plan on a little bit more fabric, especially if you don't intend on making the project right away, just so you know you have enough. The extra allowance will depend on the shrink ratio:the longer the yardage, the more shrink there will be.


Quilting is all about making descisions, but also about having fun! You can always make do and any mistake is a learning experience!


Good Luck and happy quilting!Do you pre-wash fabric before you begin quilting?
Depends. Stiffer unwashed fabric doesn't fray as much and can be easier to handle if you applique, if that's a consideration. But washed fabric enables you to find out if any of your fabrics bleed (what a way to spoil a quilt!). Unwashed fabric will pucker up more when washed, giving you a nice vintage look. Washed will shrink a little, too. Most important to remember: If you prewash, prewash every fabric, including backing, so it shrinks evenly. Any good quilting book (or internet site) will give you more than you need to know on the subject. I almost always preshrink. I do it by putting the fabric in a laundry bag, or pillowcase so it doesn't fray too much, sudz it by hand, rinse it gently and then dry in the dryer. I keep smaller pieces like fat quarters in the bag, but bigger ones I ';turn loose';. Take out while damp, and iron. Good luck on your quilt!
I always prewash, but then starch and press the fabric before cutting.





Homemade starch solution:


2 Tbsp starch mixed with 1 cup *cold* water till the starch is lump free.


Stir gradually into 3 cups boiling water, and the starch solution will cook and go from white to almost clear. Allow to cool. Makes 1 quart.





Dip damp fabric into the starch solution and then squeeze out as much of the starch solution as possible. Dry till almost dry, and then press the fabric.





This process preshrinks your fabric and gets out any bleeding dyes, then replaces the sizing in the original fabric with starch, which helps stabilize the fabric for cutting and sewing.
I always pre wash fabric for preshrinking and because of certain colors bleeding.


Don't use dryer sheets with it, also you can use starch when you Iron the fabric to make it easier to handle.


I have learned this from trial and error, I had a quilt to shrink when I washed it from not washing the fabric first.
Cute quilt! I'm sure your nephew will love it.





I like to pre-wash fabric to get the sizing out and make sure I have true grain; I think it makes the fabric easier to work with. If you are stitching the pieces by hand, you might try waxing your thread; that should make stitching easier.
I have never prewashed. That sizing makes the fabric easier to handle or you will need to put some spray starch back on it if you wash the fabric. I take a little swatch of each fabric and put it in a bolw of warm water to see of the color bleeds, if not I go to work cutting.
It's a toss up.





I like to gently wash on a short cycle just because I have no idea where the fabric has been or who has handled it before I bought it.





Dry to just damp. Press with iron.





Sock Monkeys - love it!
I always pre-wash my fabric. If you would like more information about quilting, including great quilts for kids, go to http://www.appliquequiltdesigns.com
IF it is for a child it is going to washed a lot. I would pre wash it before you sew it.
It is advisable. Also wash each one seperate in case one bleeds die so as wont ruin whole load.

No comments:

Post a Comment