Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I hand wash acetate fabric?

I have a Halloween costume that I am borrowing. It was really wrinkled so I tried steaming it with my steamer. It was shooting out hot water so it made some spots on the pink fabric of acetate. it says dry clean only, does anyone know if I can just wash it with cold water and no detergent to get the white water spots out?Can I hand wash acetate fabric?
No, don't use water at all. You will ruin the material.





Acetate really does need drycleaning, though you don't have to send it to a professional drycleaners. There are several very good do-it-yourself dry cleaning alternative products available in the grocery store detergent aisle. Dryel is the most popular, and works very very well in your dryer. It comes with spot cleaning pads to clean up blotches as well as complete instructions.





The trick with using a home drycleaning kit is to remove the garment from the tumbling bag immediately and shake it out to prevent wrinkling.

No comments:

Post a Comment